The Memorial Cup has been cancelled again.
The Canadian Hockey League announced the decision Tuesday, citing limitations on travel, border restrictions and quarantining requirements as factors that make it “impossible to produce league champions.”
“The CHL is committed to the health and safety of our players, their families and billets, our teams, staff and officials and the communities in which we play,” CHL president Dan MacKenzie said in statement. “That has driven all of our difficult decisions for the last year as we have dealt with this global pandemic.”
The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League started its season in the fall and despite a number of positive COVID-19 cases, its teams played between 26 and 40 games. Two days ago, the league had five teams in isolation and updated its playoffs to begin April 23.
Western league teams have played two to 16 games so far. The province has not approved a return-to-play plan for the Ontario Hockey League.
Oshawa and Sault Ste. Marie were in contention to hold the Memorial Cup this season.
The CHL said decisions on the timing and location of the 2022 Memorial Cup will be announced at a later date.
The 2020 Memorial Cup, which was to be held in Kelowna, B.C., was cancelled last year after the three leagues were unable to return to the ice in time.